What is PTA? Why join PTA? The number one reason to join the Parent Teacher Association is to benefit your child. In doing so, you also help your school. But there are many more PTA advantages:
What is a Parent Teacher Association (PTA)?
- Most schools have a Parent Teacher Association (PTA), which is an organisation of parents and staff. Its role is to encourage closer links between home and school. PTAs are best known for their fundraising work, but they have a useful social function too. Fundraising events provide an opportunity for parents, staff and pupils to get together.
- At our school all parents/carers and teachers are automatically members of the PTA.
- In our PTA we hold our annual general meeting during the Autumn term event (usually a disco). At this meeting a committee is elected to run the PTA – usually consisting of a chair, a vice-chair, a treasurer, a secretary and ordinary committee members. These ordinary members include at least one, and often two, parents from each class as ‘class reps‘. Their job is to pass on information from the PTA to other parents in their child’s class.
- Our committee generally meets twice a term to discuss and delegate the various tasks for our individual events.
How is money raised?
- We raise money through events. We hold one main event each school term – for example, a Christmas fair in the winter, a quiz in the spring, and a summer fair. Other PTA events include school uniform sales, discos, pamper nights, international evenings and many more. We’re always looking for new fundraising ideas.
- Funds raised by the PTA are intended to provide ‘extras’ not already provided by the school’s main income – often ‘fun things’ that make learning more interesting and exciting.
- The PTA committee and the headteacher decide how to spend PTA funds. Last year the funds were used to purchase hundreds of new books for the school library, also two new table tennis tables. The PTA also helps subsidise trips and residential courses.
How can I be involved in my PTA?
- There are many different ways you can help with the PTA, whether you have lots of time to offer or not.
- Some of the roles are time-consuming, although also rewarding. If you can’t commit to a big job, look out for things you can do less frequently (eg running a stall at the summer fair, baking for a cake sale). And you can always support PTA events by simply turning up.
- You can also get in touch with your class rep:
- Reception Adrian Pitts
- Year 1 Clare Denton
- Year 2 Tara Dixon-Chapman
- Year 3 Rachel Rowland
- Year 4 Neil Shirley
- Year 5 Ali Gates
- Year 6 Anne-Marie Baverstock
Our Yearly Events
School Disco or Movie Night: We have an evening event in both the Autumn and Spring term. Normally this is a Movie night during one term, and a Disco night in the other. We have a snack bar for the children and an adult bar in the KS2 kitchen. We are always looking for new ideas for events that will be enjoyed by all children regardless of age.
Christmas Bazaar: Held towards the end of the Autumn term, the Christmas Bazaar encompasses stalls, café, Father Christmas, bar, raffles and is great fun. It is one of our two main events in the school year which we need lots of parent helpers. Even if you are not able to man a stall for half an hour just coming early to help set up, or staying late to help clear up can make all the difference to how smoothly the event will run.
Quiz Night: Held at the end of the Spring term/beginning of Summer term, the annual quiz night is a parents only affair. All parents from all years are invited. You can either get together with some fellow parents to make up a team or speak to your PTA rep if you would like to come and do not have a team and we will find you one.
Summer Fete: Our other main event of the year, like our Christmas Bazaar our Summer Fete encompasses stalls, café, bar, raffle, and also a BBQ and inflatables. Yet again we need lots of parent volunteers for set up, clear up and manning the stalls. The more volunteers we have, the less everyone has to do, and the more time we all have to spend with our families!
The school choir singing at the PTA Summer Fete
End of Year BBQ: Held at the end of the Summer term, this is a very relaxed event. Just a BBQ and a bar, and Mr Cooke’s famous Mocktails, this is a chance to sit back and catch up with friends.
Please get in touch with anyone on the committee if you think you may like to join us. You would be very welcome!
In addition to the PTA events and one-off donations, we also have a Direct Debit scheme in place to raise money for the school. This is in place for individuals (parents, grand-parents etc.) who wish to give a regular small amount to the school. Please have a look at the form and here:
If you wish, please fill it in with a monthly sum (which can be any amount you want) and hand it in to the office. This is a great way to support the school if you unable to attend events. It is also great if you wish to do both! If 100 school families gave just £5.00 a month each that would raise a staggering £6000 a year for the school!
Currently, we are raising money for 30 new laptops as the current ones and an all-weather Astroturf sports court.